Resep bikin sate padang (satay padang recipe)
Satay Padang a.k.a Sate Padang is very common in Indonesia originally from Padang, West Sumatra. It is said to be the most spicy sate among other kind of sate because it employs many different kind of spices. I recommend you to try this recipe.
- ½ cup sliced onion
- cloves garlic, sliced
- tablespoons peanut or corn oil
- veal or beef hearts, quartered
- lbs. beef chuck, cut into 4-inch chunks
- 1½ lbs. veal tongue, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 lb. beef tripe, cleaned and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh red hot chili, blended into a paste
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- tablespoon fine chopped ginger
- 1½ tablespoons coriander
- teaspoon ground cumin
- pieces of jeruk purut, or 3 square inches of lemon peel
- salam leaves
- 1 piece of laos
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup rice flour
- Reserved meat sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ ripe tomato, sliced thin
- Bamboo skewers
- Fry the onion and garlic lightly in the oil in a large sauce-pan. Add all the other ingredients except the coconut milk, and mix well. Cook, covered, for about one and one-half hours, or until the meats are soft. Then add the coconut milk, and cook for thirty minutes. Remove the meats, and reserve this meat sauce, which should measure about 2 cups.
- To make the sauce, mix the coconut milk and rice flour into a thin paste. Bring the reserved meat sauce to a boil, and add the rice flour paste, salt and tomato. Cook and stir, for ten minutes over a low flame until the sauce is well mixed. If it becomes too thick, add ½ cup water during the cooking. The result should be a thick, creamy, spicy sauce. Keep warm.
- Cut all the cooked meats into ½-inch cubes. Put 5 cubes of different meats on each skewer so that you have a contrast in textures. Heat the skewer briefly over a charcoal fire, gas or electric broiler; then dip it liberally into the warm rice sauce. The satays are usually eaten with rice rolls / rice cake.
Makes 10 servings, with other dishes.